Friday, February 19, 2010

Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so

Hybrid Dogs (Designer Dogs)
The word 'Hybrid', when referring to genetics means, the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races. In general the word means, 'something of mixed origin or composition.' Hybrid dogs, or designer dogs as some call them, are becoming quite popular. ~

www.dogbreedinfo.com/hybriddogs.htm


Technically, a hybrid dog is a mix of two purbreads, such as a Labradoodle (Lab/Poodle mix) or Buggs (Boston Terrier/Pug mix). My mother has always told me I’m an econo- dog because I don’t eat much and she can pick me up easy. Maybe I’m not a purebread, hybrid or designer dog, but the mystery of my origins is enough to give any dog an identity crisis.
For the first 13-years of my life, I operated under the assumption that I was a beagle/husky mix. I don’t blame my mother for my bastard status, as she didn’t really have much to go on. The only information she had gotten from my former negligent owners was my name. It was Sheba, but my mom thought that sounded too much like a cat name so she changed it to Lucy, after the Grateful Dead song Loose Lucy.

We got a little closer to knowing what kind of dog I was when we were walking down the street in Oswego one day and a woman approached us to inquire about my background. The woman said I closely resembled her dog, and upon doing some math, we concluded I may actually even be related to her dog. This kind stranger informed my mother that her dog was identified as a Beagle/Husky mix when she got him.

Fast -forward 13 years, my mother had an epiphany. Several of her friends with Shiba Inu breeds observed that I strongly resembled their dogs.



Not only do I look a lot like this ancient Japanese hunting breed, it seems it was no coincidence I was originally named Sheba (or was it Shiba?). Upon further research, mommy realized I also act a lot like the breed as well.


According to Wikipedia...
the Shiba’s coat is described as being stiff and straight, with a soft thick undercoat. Fur is short and even on the face ears and legs. Tail hair is slightly longer and stands open in a brush. Shibas come in red, black, tan, sesame (red with black tipped hairs) with a cream, buff or grey undercoat.








The Shiba is a fastidious breed and feels the need to maintain itself in a clean state. They can often be seen licking their paws and legs much like a cat. They generally go out of their w
ay to keep their coats clean, and while walking will avoid stepping in puddles, mud and dirt. These are clean dogs, so grooming needs will likely be at a minimum for most individuals. A Shiba Inu coat is short, coarse and naturally waterproof, so there is little need for regular bathing. However, there is one drawback - shedding, also known as blowing coat.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to clean myself, the rug, blankets, my fluffy soccer ball, hardwoods, linoleum, or anyplace there might be a crumb or spill. I would say cleaning things and myself is among my top three favorite things to do. The one discrepancy is that my fur is very soft rather than course, which could be from whatever other breed it is that I am.

I will admit, I haven’t bathed since August, but that's because I do such a great job cleaning myself. If my feet get dirty I will obsess over them for hours. I prefer they stay neon white as my mother calls it. She always tells me that I would lick the fur off my puppies if I had had some.

Unfortunately, about three times a year, I do indeed “blow coat.” This pretty much entails my mommy brushing me for three weeks straight, removing enough hair to stuff a small couch pillow each time. I hate getting brushed, but it does feel good to shed a few pounds in hair a few times a year, especially in the dog days of summer.

Despite the question of my origin, I think one thing is for certain…I am quite possibly the cutest dog in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amy.

    You have a damn fine dog.
    Are you mommy?
    haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAH!!! Thanks for reading Owen. I am the proud mommy of Lucy, yes. And don't tell anyone, but I'm her ghost writer as well.

    ReplyDelete