Friday, February 26, 2010

My one true love

Throughout my lifetime I’ve had the pleasure of befriending and sniffing the butts of many good dogs. I’ll try to cover them all in my blog, but I think I’ll start first and foremost with the one dog that was quite possibly my soul mate, Desi Flores-Fratto.

In all actuality, if it weren’t for Desi and his mother, I would have never found my mother. Desi was my neighbor when I was a puppy living with my first owners in Oswego. When my future mommy would come by to visit Desi and his mom, she would see me and I would do my best to melt her heart. Eventually I wore down her resistance and clouded her common sense…you see my mother was only 18 when she adopted me to the chagrin of her own mother, my grandma.

What began as a friendship with the boy next door (Desi) eventually grew more serious. We saw one another practically every day. Our relationship was never physical, though I’d hump him once in a while just to remind him who wore the pants in our relationship. Quite possibly the most important thing Desi taught me was the art of Desi-Fu.

Over the years we were separated for long periods of time, but we were able to spend some quality time together at the end of Desi’s life. He would come to my house often to stay while his mommy was away. In the end, we both just loved one another’s companionship. We could sit in a room and ignore one another for hours. In our spare time we enjoyed taking walks together. As we both were suspected to be part beagle, we both enjoyed stopping to smell pretty much everything.

My mommy used to have a painting on her wall of a dog and a woman standing on a beach on a cloudy day. The dog and woman looked so much like Desi and his mom that my mother gave it to her when Desi was put to sleep. Before she got rid of the picture though, she had my grandma take a picture of it so she could repaint it. Instead of a black dog, my grandma painted an orange dog in the picture, so now Desi and I are both immortalized in the same painting. I miss him and I always stop by his old house when we walk by.

No comments:

Post a Comment