Wednesday, September 22, 2010

No, I'm not blind. I'm just ignoring you.


Hey there folks. I know things have been kind of boring for me lately, so I thought maybe I'd write about something educational today. For many years now, I've had this thing happening with my eyes that many people often mistake for glaucoma. It's this condition that makes my eyes glow like lasers in pictures. People often think it means I am blind, but actually, I can see pretty good.


The condition that causes this is Progressive Retinal Atrophy or Degeneration of the Retina. It is a progressive disease that worsens with age and can eventually cause blindness. So far, I've been pretty lucky though and it has been a slow progression.

According to the web site peteducation.com:
Signs may vary depending on the type of PRA and its rate of progression. PRA is non painful and outward appearance of the eye is often normal, i.e.; no redness, excess tearing, or squinting. Owners may notice a change in personality of their dog such as a reluctance to go down stairs or down a dark hallway. This is characteristic of night blindness, in which vision may appear to improve during the daytime. As the disease progresses, owners can observe a dilation of the pupils and the reflection of light from the back of the eye. If the blindness is progressing slowly, the owner may not notice any signs until the dog is in unfamiliar surroundings and the lack of vision is more apparent. In some animals, the lens of the eyes may become opaque or cloudy.
Unfortunately, there is no treatment for PRA, nor a way to slow the progression of the disease. Animals with PRA usually become blind.

I am pretty lucky that I still have my vision, but mommy has been noticing it is getting worse. Sometimes when she goes to let me in (when she remembers to), both in the daytime and night, she notices that I'll be standing at the bottom of the stairs staring at the door waiting for it to open. At first, I might not see her, so then she waves her hand to get my attention and that usually does the trick. I also have a tendency to stare into mirrors a lot. I'm not sure if that has to do with my vision condition. I think it's more just due to the fact that I'm so vain and I want to make sure my hair looks just right.

Well, hope you are feeling enlightened by that little tid bit. I figured some dog owners might find it interesting and educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment